Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Finalement à Nantes!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Today marked my first chance to fully unpack my suitcase, as I've arrived in Nantes and am now sitting comfortably in the home of my charming host family, the Battaglinis. They have four children all about my age: three daughters (17, 19, and 23) and a son (21). Already at dinner we were laughing together at stories from the day (though sometimes explained to me a second time in slower French) and my confusion with common names from American pop culture (Desperate Housewives, for example) pronounced with the classic French accent.

It's definitely going to be a good semester.

Certain small things I'm already loving: bookshelves in every room packed with literature, three beautiful cats which scamper freely about the house, the multiple course dinner (tonight was pesto ravioli, simple salad with vinegar, cheese and baguettes, and fresh organic fruit), the fact that I can already understand most of what's being spoken to me.

In fact, that what I was fearing most upon my arrival to France - losing much of my French comprehension due to summer relaxation at the past month's German immersion. In spending the past three days in Paris with Heidi (Alma student also doing the Nantes program, for those of you who don't know), I was surprised with how quickly my brain made the switch between languages... even in spite of the ridiculous amount of American tourists.

But for the moment I'll Paris and my other in-between adventures for another entry, as pictures will do wonders to expand the stories for you.

In spite of the warm welcome to my new home and the joy with this long-awaited plunge into true French culture, this morning was nonetheless overwhelming. Heidi and I took the high-speed TGV train from Paris at noon, on which I had the luck to sit across the aisle from another new IES participant, Geoff. Once we arrived at the IES center and added our luggage to a one-room labyrinth of stuffed suitcases, we were shown upstairs to the area for classes. There are several small rooms, including a kitchen, extensive library, and a sitting room with a piano.

Perhaps it was the plates of chocolate cookies and orange juice that drew nearly everyone to the kitchen. Whatever the cause, the air was warmed with body heat and perpetual introductions. It became clear almost immediately that nearly everyone was apprehensive to speak French, taking advantage of this "free day" and jet lag excuses to make a few fast friends in English. As we start our orientation excursion tomorrow in Bretagne, it will definitely be interesting to see how quickly we divide both by interests and determination to parler Français.

On verra - we'll see!

1 comments:

Ruth said...

The home sounds wonderfully "homey" and definitely you. Can't wait to see some pictures!!! I know the food will be wonderful.
Love MOM

Post a Comment