Monday, August 10, 2009

Bread, anyone?

Monday, August 10, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, bread seems to be the biggest staple of the German diet.

Breakfast is no little bowl of sugary cereal, but rather an open buffet filling the table surface with several loaves of fresh bread, homemade jam, butter, honey, fresh cheese (like cream cheese), hard cheese, fruit, coffee, cream, and sugar.

When Theresa's parents were home last week to help her prepare for her trip, lunch was an equally scrumptious pagaent, but with a few different vegetable dishes, perhaps some sausages, cheese, fruit, and salad at the end. But now that Theresa's gone to India and her parents are back to work, most days I'm on my own for food. Lunchtime has become this daily creative venture in which I figure out what to do with a refrigerator filled with vegetables, cheese, and cream products. Not to mention my creative yet limited cooking skills. A piece of bread or two usually manages to find its way onto my sparsely filled plate of veggies thanks to a half full stomach.

Dinner has always been more of an unofficial meal, as Theresa's parents come home at separate times and later than I do. When in doubt, bread and cheese do the job, though I'm beginning to wonder what all this gluten will do to my system.

And then of course there's the abundance of "liquid bread" - from corner stores to biergartens - but we'll save that for another time.

Don't get me wrong - I'm definitely enjoying the home-grown, normal-sized produce and bread that's not pre-sliced or in a polka-dot bag. It's much simpler and more natural, but it's still taking some adjustment. Nowhere around here can one find a single mega-store to buy everything they could possibly need - that's definitely an American thing. And while this has its local charm and welcoming feel, I have yet to figure out where I can buy a hairdryer.

6 comments:

Katharina said...

I would recommend Saturn, Media Markt or something like this. Sometimes they sell hairdryers in drug stores (Rossmann, DM, Ihr Platz), too. Good luck with it ;-)

Anonymous said...

This is all too familiar...

-Abby

Ruth said...

Stick to the whole grain breads if you can-they digest slower and will keep you filled. Bananas are filling too. Don't they have sliced meats too? Foreigners here do love our super markets. Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Hey, as Katharina said, try Kaufhof, Karstadt oder Saturn (thats the store we picked up the radio from)...theyre all in downtown.

I hope you*ll MISS bread by the end of your stay in Germany...haha!! And tell my parents not to work to hard....be them a reason to come home in time and cook with you! ;)

Theresa

Katie Crombe said...

Hey! It sounds like you're having a great time so far, albiet some cultural differences :)
I think I am starting a blog for my trip too! Also, we need to find a time/way to meet up. Unfortunately I can't have overnight guests in our apartment, but you could stay in a hostel or somewhere nearby if you wanted to visit! Anywho, sounds fun and I'm glad that I'm reading this before I go, so I'll know a little what to expect :)
Arrivederci!
Katie

Marc said...

Ich mag brot! My favourite continental breakfast is croissant filled with ham and cheese - either emmenthal or brie, depending on what's available. That might be more of a French thing though but hey, it's all good healthy euro-nosh.

Post a Comment