Friday, August 14, 2009

Visual Update

Friday, August 14, 2009
Since a picture's supposedly worth 1000 words, here's a few from the last two weeks to play a bit of visual catch-up! First, a few from around Freiburg...


























































These two are from one night when I climbed the tallest hill in town called the Schlossberg, with Lutz, one of Theresa's friends who's been showing me around Freiburg. As you can see, the view from the very top of that tower is incredible, but it's quite a steep and treacherous climb, especially in this humid mountain air!


Last weekend I went on a group trip to Basel, Switzerland, to see an exhibit of over 70 of Van Gogh's landscape paintings. It was enlightening and wonderfully curated - one had the chance to see Van Gogh's gradual transition from brown, shadowy, realistic Dutch landscapes to the illuminated swirls of color that we know him for today.

Naturally, pictures weren't allowed in the museum, but later on in a window display I was lucky to see the Swiss take on Van Gogh... made of chocolate!


By the way, class is also going beautifully. Every day provides more vocabulary, intriguing stories, enjoying activities around Freiburg, and many smiles. I'll try to even out the ratio of landscape/sightseeing pictures with ones of people - unlike countless untold histories of this beautiful European town I'm in, for me each face already holds far more words . . . in a handful of languages.

5 comments:

Theresa said...

I'm SO glad you're enjoying your stay in Freiburg and its surroundings!!!!!! :)

Ruth E. Hugo said...

What beautiful city! I wish I could have seen the Van Gogh's. What are your weekend plans?

Love MOM

Marc said...

Bless the Swiss. Only they could come up with a Vincent Van Choc. By the way, what's that tower actually for?

Andrew said...

So glad everything is going well. Off on another trip myself tomorrow. Can't wait to see pics of you there and your poem:)

Renalien said...

Egads! Tis an exciting endeavor you are on! I hope you say speak lots o random german to me when you finally return!

Post a Comment