Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Small Steps

Wednesday, August 5, 2009
With small accomplishments, my confidence is improving . . . a slow process. A fair amount of WD-40 helped us push that rusty bike seat as far down as we could get it, though embarrassingly I'm still a bit of a clumsy rider! But with all the biking I'll likely do this month, I should be a natural soon enough.

Speaking of which, I biked to the Goethe Institute yesterday (just a 10-minute ride!) for my first orientation and a placement test. It felt strangely comforting to enter the building to the sounds of broken English and slow German - for once I wasn't the only outsider! When I mentioned that I was staying "bei meiner Freundin" Theresa, the patient woman filling out a form for me smiled - "sehr praktisch!" Although this practical means of living for a month had me waiting in line for quite a while just to receive a student card, instead of the stacks of paper everyone else received regarding the student guesthouse, transportation, and cafeteria! Still, it felt good to stroll out of the Institute sans luggage and hop on a bike like a local Freiburger.

My first class is this afternoon, and from then on they'll run weekdays from 1:30-6, along with a plethora of cultural activities in the mornings, evenings, and weekends. Thankfully I managed to get into the class level I needed, as I have to take an exam at then end of the course for my German minor.

Theresa had some friends over last night for a little farewell party. It was a bit overwhelming at first, both to meet all these new people and attempt to comprehend even a little of their fast conversation(especially the girls). I'm really beginning to understand how exchange students feel - I can usually follow the general drift of a conversation, but then when I try to say something the pace nearly comes to a halt. But a few of Theresa's friends who did talk to me individually were immensely patient and helpful. As I grew more comfortable later on in the night, my German - though still simple and imperfect - came a little easier. Small steps and small victories along the way.

Last year when I did Model UN at Alma, I remember being so amazed at the New York conference with foreign students' ability to compete so well in a language other than their own. A few experienced members of our own team had told us in advance about the value of working with them, even if it may take a little longer to get a point across. Unlike certain infamous American UN teams, these students were always so cooperative and helpful, and even had some of the best ideas if you took the time to listen. Now I'm truly understanding the gratitude they must have felt, even in our smallest gestures of patience and encouragement.

1 comments:

Ruth E. Hugo said...

So good to know you got into your class and the seat is a bit lower on the bike. What is the picture of? Are you going anywhere this weekend? Love MOM

Post a Comment