Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Day in the (Freiburg) Life

Wednesday, August 19, 2009
While going through the motions this morning that I've so easily adjusted to, it hit me that I haven't even talked about what most of my days are like. So here's a play-by-play:

9:30 - Wake up to the sound of children's voices, church bells, or birds, as my window's been open all night to keep the room cool.

9:40 - Down two flights of stairs for breakfast. Usually Theresa's parents have left for work by now, but sometimes I catch one of them on the way out with a quick Denglish conversation about my previous evening. I sit in the kitchen drinking the bottom of the coffee pot, munching on a few slices of soft, grainy bread with cheese and jam, and attempt to read the newspaper. I get the main idea halfway through the article and scan all the pictures like a kid. Too bad there's no comics!

10:00 - Shower with removable showerhead, which requires its user to be a little awake so that water doesn't get everywhere. Gone are the days of standing under the shower listlessly and occasionally falling asleep for a minute or two!

10:30-12:00 - Finish up homework, check my e-mail, perhaps update my blog (like now). This is my window to get things done.

12:00 - Wander back down to the kitchen to figure out some lunch. This usually ends up being an omlette with a combo of random chopped vegetables, cheese, and/or lunchmeat. Though I quickly take advantage of leftovers in the fridge.

1:10 - Leave for class by bike. I ride 10-15 minutes through suburban streets, then a walk/bike path right along the river, and finally navigate through a busy 5-way intersection to Wilhelmstraße, lined with charming bookshops and cafes to the Goethe Institute at the end.

1:20 - I walk my bike through the grand pair of gates in front of the institute and sandwich my bike between several others on a rack under an enormous tree. Most students sit outside before class begins, and I can always hear conversations in several languages as well as German with many accents.

1:30-3 - First session of German, always beginning with interesting conversations about the previous night's activities and weekend plans. We learn a little history, grammer, and vocabulary with lots of engaging activities.

3:00-3:30 - First "Pause" in which several of us head to one of three cafes for a much needed coffee. Only costs 1 Euro and it's strong enough to be espresso. By this time we're already exhausted by the afternoon heat at the flurry of German words we're still sorting out in our brains, so the Pause is much needed for caffinated rejuvination.

3:30-6 - Class goes on with another short Pause near the end. It amazes me how the 4 1/2 hours of class go by quicker than the previous day. (It's also hard to believe that I'm over halfway done already!)

6:00-6:15 - I head back home with the sun on my back and much more traffic (cars, joggers, and lots of bikes) on all sides.

6:15-7:00 - Quick dinner of a few slices of bread and cheese, then change out of my clothes which by now are full with the day's sweat from biking and the hot classroom.

7:00-? - Various "German" activities with friends from the Institute, perhaps going to a Biergarten or the student bar, meeting at a restaurant, or going to a club. Or I meet up with Lutz and he shows me his Freiburg - my own local tour guide.

...A few times I've ridden my bike home pretty late at night, but not once have I felt unsafe anywhere. Freiburg is a university town, so about 10% of its population is students. More places to eat and drink stay open, and there are always many people walking around town or along the river. It's such a different "late-night atmosphere" from what I've experienced in the States, and I think a lot of it simply has to do with the fact that everything's so close together. No one needs to drive anywhere; instead of designated drivers, all one needs is a linked arm and a shoulder for a droopy head, or even just a steady hand to help navigate the cobblestone streets.

As for me, the mental reminder that I must ride a bike back from wherever I'm at keeps me in check and keeps my wallet from emptying too quickly!

1 comments:

Ruth Hugo said...

Everything sounds very charming--like a lazy summer in Europe!!! Your pictures are great. Miss you--Love , MOM

Post a Comment